Re: Violin notation advice requested

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Violin notation advice requested
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 18:42:44 +0200

"Javier Ruiz-Alma" <address@hidden> writes:

> Pardon my ignorance RE: string notation.
>
> An 1800's typeset I'm transcribing uses different fonts for what I figured
> were all fingering indications.
>
> Is there a significance for the use of unique fonts for notes having both
> upper and lower number indications?
>
> I wondered if the lower digit may point to string number, not finger number.

No, both are fingerings.  The upper fingering is the recommended version
for best phrasing and distribution across strings, the lower fingering
is the simpler version mainly in first position (not sure whether the I
is supposed to indicate position or the E string, I think the latter),
only escaping to third position where first position is clearly
insufficient.

Second (and fourth) position is somewhat harder to play (and sightread)
for most violinists so it is mainly employed by seasoned players where
the gains for the string voicing outweigh the awkwardness of a less
practiced hand position.

--
David Kastrup