Re: Chords and what they mean

From: 70147persson
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 19:53:18 +0200

Hi all!

This thread has evolved in a very interesting direction, and although the discussion is often, I have to admit, much over my head, as being a, however interested, but none the less, musical amateur. I will not break this discussion, so I step into the thread via a side path.

Now I would ask those of you who know LilyPond better than me: is there some kind of "pre processor" where I can define the chords the way I understand them. You might call it a context, possibly "my" context. This may also vary with different music, so maybe you could call it from some kind of library via an include command in LP.

At the start of this thread I was learned how to modify the output, printing, of my entered chords (via chordNameExceptions etc.), but it would be nice, if I also could enter them according to my "context". So if I think that e.g. Csus means <c f g> it would be fine, if I could define this once, and then use my definition(s) when entering the music, instead of, like today, having to enter Csus4 or c:1.4.5, to not get <c g> which LP says is the definition.

So if anyone knows of such a feature in LP, I would be glad to hear it. So far at least I have not stumbled over it in my reading the documentation.
/Kaj