Re: Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Kaj Persson
Subject: Re: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 00:49:47 +0200

On 2015-09-18 21:39, Thomas Morley wrote:

Am 18.09.2015 19:53, schrieb address@hidden:

Csus means <c f g> it would be fine, if I
could define this once, and then use my definition(s) when entering
the music, instead of, like today, having to enter Csus4 or c:1.4.5,

Do you use a different program?
I checked c:1.4.5 and get <c f g> and not <c g> as you claim!
Are you really working with lilypond or are you trolling?

to not get <c g> which LP says is the definition.

Where did you find this definition??? Please simply check anything yourself
before encumbering!

\version "2.19.25"

theMusic =chordmode {
   c:1.4.5
   c:sus4
}

\layout {
   ragged-right =#t
}

<< \context ChordNames \theMusic
    \context Voice \theMusic

I love all LP users and I do not want to be unpolite - but
R-T-F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, (re-)reading docs is always good advice, but I'm pretty sure
from his other posts, he did already.
More thoroughly than others.

Though, yes, Kay could have provided some more code example(s).

But, did you (re-)read his posts, trying to understand?

Anyway, I understood him as follows:

He tried
% 1
\chordmode {
     c:sus
     c:5
}
and was surprised by the printed output.

Which actually can be achieved by entering
% 2
\chordmode {
     c:sus4
     c^3
}

And now he asks whether inputting % 1 can be made to return what % 2 does.

And now I'm thinking about it ...

-Harm

Yes, one should never take things for granted. Now I tried to be concise, not using too many words, but obviously it was too short and brief. But Samuel and Harm did exactly express what I meant and should have written. So thank you Bernhard for trying to understand my thoughts even if expressed so dimly.

By the way, as I said before, I am not that clever, and familiar with all these advanced ways of expressing oneself, so your shorthand message is a first time experience for me. A try to use my imagination could maybe be something like Read-The-???-Manual, but this is just a guess. If so, I can really tell that I have read it, but there are so many possibilities with LilyPond, that the more special ones are often hiding.

I was late, so i did not see that you, Bernhard, had already sent another post, but Kieren has very clearly answered exactly the way I would have done. Being a computer engineer (correct?) (so am I), you are perhaps used to compilers, which by necessity must be very strict in dealing with the code, and you might think this naming of chords is a non consistent way of writing. As you wrote Csus ought to mean that the first third is removed, and nothing else. Among professional musicians, which I am not, but I have friends who are, this is not the whole truth, there exists a de facto standard which does not exactly coincide with the pure logical. Csus is one example, C5 another. So when I work with these people i will use their methods and system, not trying to introduce something else (more "clever"). Therefore it would be fine if one could adapt LP to the current situation.
/Kaj