Re: domain naming and SSL behaviour poll

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: domain naming and SSL behaviour poll
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:33:43 +0200

Hi Urs,

>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> https://letsencrypt.org/ ?
>
> Thanks.  Looks like it's worth a look, even when they probably aren't "known"
> to the browsers yet.
>
> Any idea how this compares to cacert.org (conceptually, morally)?

Let's encrypt is probably the way to go (at least from what I know).
While cacert is a nice idea that I support, it never got a widespread
use (known by browsers) for several reasons.

Let's encrypt is discussed for almost a year now [1] and it is the
common effort of free software communities and the big players to get
widespread SSL.

It is supported by the EFF as well as most browsers. I haven't tested
that, but at least they say that the browsers should accept the
certificates [2].

Cheers,
Joram

[1]: For Urs in German: