Re: How does one change the font for one set of lyrics?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How does one change the font for one set of lyrics?
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 01:07:34 +0200

Hello Connor,

On 21.09.2015 00:58, Connor Harris wrote:
not top-posting
I'm writing a choral piece with a French text for SATB divisi choir, two
parts per staff. I'd like to have two sets of lyrics per part: one with
the original text in French orthography, and one in IPA phonetic
transcription underneath the "main" lyrics. Here's a fragment of the
adapted Frescobaldi template that I'm using, defining the layout of the
choir staves:

choirPart = \new ChoirStaff <<
   \new Staff = "ss" \with {
     instrumentName = "Soprano"
   } <<
     \new Voice = "soprano1" { \voiceOne \sopranoOne }
     \new Voice = "soprano2" { \voiceTwo \sopranoTwo }

   \new Lyrics \with {
     alignAboveContext = "ss"
     \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #DOWN
   } \lyricsto "soprano1" \sopranoOneLyrics
   \new Lyrics \with {
     alignAboveContext = "ss"
     \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #DOWN
   } \lyricsto "soprano1" \sopranoOneIPA
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano2" \sopranoTwoLyrics
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano2" \sopranoTwoIPA

   % and similarly for alto, tenor, bass
where \sopranoOneLyrics et sim. refer to \lyricmode objects defined
elsewhere.

The default serif font lacks many necessary IPA symbols and reverts to
printing them in the default sans-serif font, which creates an ugly and
hard-to-read mixture. To avoid this and better distinguish the French
from the IPA, I'd like to print the IPA throughout in a sans-serif font,
with the French text in the standard serif font. I don't know how to do
this without enclosing every IPA syllable in its own \markup object and
redefining the font there, which I would prefer to avoid; the most
relevant pages that I could find with an Internet search gave methods of
changing the global font for a document, or for changing the font for
all sets of lyrics, neither of which is what I want. Many thanks for any
help that you can provide!

\new Lyrics \with {
  \override LyricText.font-name = …
}

If there is already a \with{} block, just insert the \override command as another line; else add a new \with block to modify the single context you are creating.

More explanation can be found at <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/changing-context-default-settings#changing-just-one-specific-context> (to be found through the Notation Reference command index for \with).

HTH, Simon