Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 22:39:11 -0500

> On Sep 20, 2015, at 2:58 AM, BB <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 20.09.2015 03:30, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:
>>
>> > I suppose that this is because some people (and Lilypond) think that
>> > C:sus2 is equally as valid or usual interpretation of "sus", and
>>
>> May be I misundertand this? c:sus2 works with Lilypond and IS a valid
>> chord often used in pop/rock, not so frequently used in jazz? May be I
>> am wrong.
>>
>> Of course sus2 is used.
>>
>> The question is more like:  if you saw Csus, would you know how to interpret
>> it musically?
>> Or would you be stuck in your tracks wondering, "is this a sus2, sus4, both?
>>  something else?”

I would not be bothered by that.  The suspended 4th is the conventional meaning
of a sus chord (a triad of root, 4th and 5th- Levine notwithstanding.  With the
3rd in the chord, it’s really not a sus chord IMHO).  There are sus2 chords,
IME these occur rarely in jazz except momentarily as voice leading- the melody
note would be the obvious guide there.  In pop music what is often written as a
“sus2” is really a triad plus 9 (root/3rd/5th/9th) without a 7th.

> c:sus is working correctly getting root and 5, but indeed is an
> "unconventional" expression to get a C5 …

That is not working correctly IMO.  c:sus should not produce the chordname C5.

>> I tend to think that the sus implies 4, unless otherwise noted.
>
> Why? Why not 2 or 3 or 5 or 6 or 7? I disagree!

Because as mentioned above the suspended 4th is the convention in Western music
for a “sus” chord.  Also, you can’t have a sus3 or sus5 (or a sus root) by
definition because those notes are already included- the terminology of
suspension refers to the note above (typically) or below (occasionally)
replacing the 3rd.  The use of the other notes such as the 6th, 7th and the
extensions already has its own specific terminology.  Chord names should
conform to standard nomenclature to avoid confusion the musicians in
performance.  Disagreeing would put you outside of the normal language of
chords and would be counterproductive.