2.18.2 - Thoughts so far

From: Edward Ardzinski
Subject: 2.18.2 - Thoughts so far
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 09:59:56 -0700 (MST)

1) I was apparently following some good practices in 2.6.5, since what I've
done in 2.18.2 has been essentially seamless.  But...

        a) I miss my old editor, as I had a lot of code shortcuts built in it.
Still, I had not updated it in many years, so there was an ancillary text
file of snippets.  I think with Notepad, a template file, and a code
snippets file I will manage well.

        b) There were some pieces that I tried to do some instrument specific
things (I recall tweaking a lot of code for a cross staff arpeggio's in a
few piano pieces) - these will need work.  But for the most part, creating
midi files, well, game on!

2) The midi enhancements are great, I can put the dynamics in the music
score where they belong (I was cheating and doing that visually in another
program to manipulate the midi files), which can only make me a better
composer.  I guess I could have/should have been doing this in 2.6.5, but
since I have to use something else to get good instruments sounds...so far
the Lilypond instrument sounds are great.

        a) While this is all good things, there apparently is a constraint on
getting a long terminal note to decrescendo in midi?  Anyone with a hack?

        b) Articulations and dynamics are important.  And hard work.  Thanks...I
guess. ;-)

3) The current advancements have me able to get basically where I was with
LP 2.6.5 and AcidPRO 6, except for a for a few issues

        a) the terminal fade out mentioned above

        b) tempo changes in midi (have not yet tried that - any
advice/warnings?)

        c) effects: I was evolving towards a very dry mix anyway, so the fact
that
the free-ware midi to mp3 converter has some digital artifacts (drums
especially - on an open high-hat I hear it a lot) is nto a fatal issue.
These are after all demos..

4) One final thought, as my snippets/code are in purgatory - what's the code
switch at the beginning of the input file to turn off the point-n-click in
the PDF output?  Thx!!!