Re: Repeat with alternatives

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Repeat with alternatives
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 22:47:53 -0500

Quoting Richard Shann (address@hidden):
> On Fri, 2015-10-02 at 13:27 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > Quoting Johan Vromans (address@hidden):

> > > I'm not familiar with a clean notation for the above.
> >
> > Nor me. It would usually help if the OP could post an example of what
> > they wanted, either published or cobbled together.
> >
> > > For the normal repeat, with alternative endings, this would be
> > >
> > >    |: fixed part 1 |1 alterrnative 1 :|2 alternative 2 |
> > >
> > > Would this be understood by the average musician?
> > >
> > >    |: fixed part 1 |1 alterrnative 1 |2 alternative 2 | fixed part 2 :|
> >
> > Understood? Well "my" attached "partial solution" (which I've
> > completed only by using inkscape)
>
> Did you resort to inkscape to get the because you wanted an
> end-of-second-time marker? LilyPond doesn't give one with this syntax

Absolutely. Earlier in the thread I wrote: "However, my partial
solution fails to close the 2nd alternative's volta bracket, and I
don't see any way of doing so. Perhaps someone more expert could help
there with some sort of tweak."

> \version "2.19.25"
> {
>
> a'8 b' c' e' c'2
> a'4 b'
> \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1"))
> d'4 g'
> \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
> \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "2"))
> \set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment -1/2) d'8 e' f' g'
> \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
> d''4 c'' b' a'
> %5
> a' b' c'' d'' \bar ":|."}
>

> and it gives a warning which I don't understand.

Presumably the same as mine: "warning: cannot end volta spanner"?
I will admit that I didn't bother to look at the Score.repeatCommands
at all. All I did was add two Timing.measureLength lines and rewrite
the last bar, where Stan's semibreve didn't clearly reveal where LP
was putting the beats.

> OTOH the
> end-of-second-time marker wouldn't serve any particular purpose - the
> player doesn't do anything special at that point.

It's not a case of what the player does. The end-of-second-time
marker's mandatory purpose is to define the precise point where the
so-called "fixed part 2" starts. Because of its importance, it has to
be properly marked with a vertical line matching the one at the start
of the bracket.

This contrasts with a normal repeat having two endings, where the 2nd
volta bracket effectively peters out in mid-air because it has little
or no significance. Its length in this case is just a matter of style.

Cheers,
David.