Re: Repeat with alternatives

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Repeat with alternatives
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 17:33:05 +0100

On Wed, 2015-09-30 at 15:22 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Dear Sir / Madam,
>

> I’m trying to write a piece that has repeats with alternatives. It
> seems that “\repeat volta 2” is the way to go with supplying the
> alternatives in “\alternative”. However, this seems to work only for
> alternative endings, while I have alternative middle parts.
>

> I have tried to fix this manually with introducing volta brackets and
> repeat signs. Unfortunately Lilypond doesn’t recognize this as a
> repeat and counts the notes of the alternatives as if they are all
> played in one run (so that the first note after the alternatives does
> not start a new measure, as it should, see attachment).

I don't know whether this is the approved way, but Denemo uses this
syntax

\set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment -1/2)

to indicate that the second time bar is only half a bar. (This example
is for half a bar in 4/4 time).

I think for hand-written LilyPond you should be using the \repeat
volta ... {} \alternative {} etc style syntax (the only reason Denemo
doesn't output that by default is that often the users do not look at
the LilyPond and then get in a mess through failing to open and close
the repeat).

HTH

Richard