Re: PDF Links in Windows

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: PDF Links in Windows
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:57:31 +0200

Am 05.10.2015 um 12:42 schrieb James:
> Hello,
>
> On 05/10/15 10:23, Urs Liska wrote:
>> Am 05.10.2015 um 11:18 schrieb Federico Bruni:

>>> "Custom protocol handlers aren't supported by Adobe Reader X and later
>>> for security reasons."
>>> https://forums.adobe.com/message/5593888#5593888
>> Is this definitive?
>>
>> Then this should be added to the documentation somewhere (CCing to
>> bug-lilypond).
>>
>> Urs
> Do we have an example of a PDF that he is trying to use here?
>
> I use a number of different readers at work and they all behave
> differently and on different operating systems. The information "Custom
> protocol handlers aren't supported by Adobe Reader X and later for
> security reasons." isn't very explanatory in the context of LilyPond.
>
> To help the bug squad could you articulate more clearly what is needed
> here than just forwarding some thread from another list?

The context is the page
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/configuring-the-system-for-point-and-click
and the issue of activating point-and-click on Windows in Acrobat Reader.

The message quoted by Federico is an official statement of an Adobe
staff member, and this tells us that from Adobe Reader X onwards it will
not be possible to enable LilyPond's point-and-click links.

My suggestion is to add a note to said LilyPond doc page saying e.g.
"please note that it is not possible to make point-and-click work with
Adobe Reader version X or above." Probably this should go after the
second paragraph.

I think Adobe Reader is important enough for new or potential LilyPond
users on Windows that this disclaimer should be there.

Urs