Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:33:44 +0200

Hi Jurgen,

welcome to this list and LilyPond!

I will answer some of your questions but you'll surely get other responses as well.

Am 05.10.2015 um 12:46 schrieb address@hidden:
Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie here, so please bare with me ;-)

I already spent a couple of hours, reading all manuals and mailing lists, trying to engrave something as simple as this:

Notice: the "full-measure rests" are not shown in the screenshot (beginner piano book), but I want to engrave them anyway. Result: please check lilypond attachment.

2 problems:

1.cross-staff slur:
a. using the list archive, apparently a possible solution is changing staffs.

Yes, this is the most straightforward solution. And if the image you posted is more or less all you need it is the way to go.

I'm changing staffs from "right/upper" to "left/under" after note "c4", and then I write final note "b2." By doing that, apparently
there is also an empty 4th measure added automatically to the "right" staff. I did not expect that, because I wanted to put a rest "R2."in that measure, by changing back from "left" to "right" after I wrote final note "b2.",
but clearly that does not give me the desired result.

The solution is quite simple in your case: you can simply have the "left hand" rests change staff too. So adding

     \change Staff = right
     R2.

after the third measure in the "left" variable will give you the desired result.
There are solutions that may be "semantically" more correct, but for your example this is what I would do.

b. It _does_ give a cross-staff slur, but it is not as "nice" as the one in the screenshot. That one starts somewhere at the half of the stem of "f4" and ends above lyric "round" that is centered above final note "b2.". How can that
be accomplished?

For changing the shape of a slur (or tie) you can use the function \shape (as explained here: http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/modifying-shapes.html) and enter e.g.

  \shape #'((0.25 . -1.5)(3 . 1)(0 . 0)(0 . -3)) Slur

immediately *before* the note the slur start is attached to.
This is a more general solution than that suggested by David but also a more (unnecessarily?) complex one.

But first the lyrics question...

2. lyrics
a. I have trouble finding a solution for the lyrics: I want a dash between e.g. "Rid" and "ing" (one syllable per note) as in the screenshot, but the slur between "e4" and "g2" prevents me from getting the desired result. If I remove those round
brackets (slur), I'm still not getting "Rid - ing" but "Riding" in one word without a dash. How can that be accomplished?

First thing: you have to write "Rid -- ing" both times (with a double hyphen which is surrounded by spaces). This is the way to tell LilyPond that you want syllables.

The thing with slurs and phrasing slurs (David's suggestion) may warrant an additional solution. Your original example is actually non-standard notation: The slurs usually indicate a melisma and therefore the syllables are distributed differently from what you expect. Therefore you have to "trick" LilyPond into doing what you want it to do, namely printing non-standard notation. The trick in this case is that a phrasing slur doesn't take part in the melisma/non-melisma considerations.

But actually I suggest you consider actually changing the notation: Remove the slurs in the first two measures completely and use a phrasing slur over m. 3-4..

HTH
Urs

Thanks in advance!
Jurgen L.