Re: Handling of objects near barlines

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Handling of objects near barlines
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 20:52:19 +0200

Hello David,

On 05.10.2015 19:49, David Sumbler wrote:
Even when we write the opposite, Lilypond still conforms to the standard
practice - which is very nice of it, but unnecessary.  Lilypond is a
practical tool, not an educational one, and people using it know the
conventions

I don’t and I’m glad Lily does it right for me.
Part of the point in automated typesetting is to disable people from making errors – which, as can be seen in many publications even from major houses, happens very easily.

  and can just as easily type a key change etc. before or
after the bar check.  Lilypond's insistence on orthodoxy does not save
us any effort whatsoever.

It saves having to remember and stick to the correct order for anybody using bar checks.

I am getting your point, and I hear in your writing the anxiety to make the proposal at all, for which I feel sorry. Flexibility and striving for perfection do not easily go together…

What about doing it only with explicit \bar "" commands? (That is no comment on technical feasibility; others need to judge about that.)

Yours, Simon