Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 20:38:12 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Albrecht" <address@hidden>
To: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2015 8:07 PM

On 05.10.2015 13:33, Urs Liska wrote:
> Remove the slurs in the first two measures completely

Hear, hear! The musicologist deviates from the original notation :-) You definitely need to make an editorial remarkā€¦
Cheek aside, I think they are phrasing slurs and make sense as such.

Yours, Simon

I would definitely argue against removing the slurs from the vocal part. Slurs serve two purposes: to show melisma and to show phrasing. In terms of the lilypond input, they're coded differently; in terms of the image in the score, they look the same.

Have a look at some of Vaughan Williams' "Songs of Travel" for use of this sort of phrasing: "The Roadside Fire" is a good example.

--
Phil Holmes