Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:01:30 +0200

Am 05.10.2015 um 21:07 schrieb Simon Albrecht:
> On 05.10.2015 13:33, Urs Liska wrote:
>> Remove the slurs in the first two measures completely
>
> Hear, hear! The musicologist deviates from the original notation :-)
> You definitely need to make an editorial

Depends on the type of publication of course. Anyway, this obsession to
justify and comment on *everything* is a comparably new trend.
Traditionally the musicologist would silently ("stillschweigend")
correct "obvious errors" ;-)

> Cheek aside, I think they are phrasing slurs and make sense as such.

I'd also say that this depends too, this time on the style of the music.
In most cases I'd consider them dubious. But I deliberately didn't tell
the OP to remove the slurs but to *consider* doing so.

Urs