Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 23:40:31 -0500

Quoting Simon Albrecht (address@hidden):
> One small amendment: The spacing is less grotesque if you insert
> %%%%%%%
> selfAl = #(define-music-function (parser location num) (number?)
>             #{ \once \override LyricText . self-alignment-X  = $num #})
>
> text = \lyricmode {
>   Rid -- ing, | rid -- ing, | \selfAl #.5 ’round \selfAl #-.5 and a
> -- round
> }
> %%%%%%%
> instead of the lyrics.

Thanks for another snippet to file away for later use.

However, I just wanted to observe two things about the OP's original:
the words are much smaller, and the first three bars look as though
they are using proportional spacing.

One of the things that I've noticed about LP is that by default the
lyrics are scaled up in size relative to the music, compared with many
publishers' scores, which can lead to a more irregular note spacing.
This isn't a criticism: it's easily "correctable" but I much prefer it
anyway because of my eyesight.

> On 05.10.2015 12:46, address@hidden wrote:
> > Notice: the "full-measure rests" are not shown in the screenshot
> > (beginner piano book), but I want to engrave them anyway.

Might the lack of rests indicate that it is music for one voice/hand?

> – Nitpick: the typographical apostrophe ’ – hard to achieve, alas,
> on most keyboard layouts. And apparently most people don’t seem to
> mind, but I find it much nicer.

Another reason to use curly quotes is that you can write lyrics like
“All hail,” instead of "\"All" "hail,\"" which improves the appearance
of the source as well as the output.

Mind you, I'm not sure why a beginner's piano book has lyrics at all,
particularly placing them between the staves.

Cheers,
David.