Re: Ties or multiple voices

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Ties or multiple voices
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 20:57:18 +0200

On 05.10.2015 19:00, S wrote:
My question may need some clarification. Especially the third example, which should look something like this:

Inline afbeelding 1

\relative c''{
}

The tie starting at the b on the third beat in the second voice looks a little awkward. It may be theoretically correct, but it looks artificial to me since the only movement at that point is c# to d.

What I basically want to know is when it is OK to introduce a new voice to get rid of these ties.

It’s OK whenever it serves legibility or is desired by the composer. You’re completely free to add another voice (that would be \voiceTwo for the crotchet b and \voiceThree for the beamed quavers group), if you find it sensible, or the performer will have less trouble reading the music.

HTH, Simon