Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 21:41:55 +0200

Hello Jurgen,

On 05.10.2015 12:46, address@hidden wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie here, so please bear with me ;-)

I already spent a couple of hours, reading all manuals and mailing lists,

Reading the manuals is always helpful, but at the beginning it’s a huge heap – and after four years there are still parts of the NR I discover for the first time… but you’ll get the hang :-)

trying to engrave something as simple as this:

Notice: the "full-measure rests" are not shown in the screenshot (beginner piano book), but I want to engrave them anyway.

I’d suggest working with spacer rests, for the following reason: There is only one voice here, so there is no need for visible rests.

Result: please check lilypond attachment.

2 problems:

1.cross-staff slur:
a. using the list archive, apparently a possible solution is changing staffs.

And a very natural solution, given that it’s the same melody in the same voice, which only – changes staff :-) Sometimes LilyPond does have quite intuitive syntax.

I attach a version, which shows how I’d do it. There is a certain amount of indivuality in how everybody uses to code music in LilyPond. But the methods I used here tend to be very robust and versatile, so I may recommend studying that.
A few comments:
– the `\context SomeContext = "name-of-the-context" \content` command is used to reference an already existing context. In this example, the \lyricsto can only be used after the associated Voice has been created, so I create an empty Lyrics context first and insert the content later. – Nitpick: the typographical apostrophe ’ – hard to achieve, alas, on most keyboard layouts. And apparently most people don’t seem to mind, but I find it much nicer. – LyricHyphen, \shape and phrasing slur have already been explained. I really think they are phrasing slurs, especially in the context of such an elementary school, where they just indicate the analysis of the form. – Separating "global" and "aux" variables will come in handy in more complicated situations, here it’s not yet necessary. – \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity tells the Lyrics context, to which staff it belongs – this changes spacing. Default is #UP.

Happy Ponding!
Yours, Simon