LilyPond syntax element like Scheme ‘)’? (was: Re: Selected pieces in a

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: LilyPond syntax element like Scheme ‘)’? (was: Re: Selected pieces in a book)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 22:45:23 +0200

The definition of \stringAppend is definitely awkward. After all, the only difference between \stringAppend and \string-append is that the former has a specified number of arguments, and the latter doesn’t work since in LilyPond syntax there is no delimiter like ‘)’ in Scheme. I wonder if we might introduce such a syntax element. But I can’t even think of a reasonable one: \end is not distinctive enough IMO. \out ? \. ?
It would allow writing:
%%%%%%%%%
\markup \string-append "foo" "bar" \.
%%%%%%%%%