Re: Emacs lilypond-mode and also point-and-click

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Emacs lilypond-mode and also point-and-click
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:27:46 -0500

Quoting Andrew Bernard (address@hidden):

> Also, using evince on Ubuntu 15.04 with either Unity or the GNOME 3 Shell,
> after several successful point-and-click redirects, the file in emacs get
> messed up and the source file has to be reloaded.

"messed up" is a bit vague. Is it really the buffer (rather than merely
the screeen) that's messed up? ie typing Ctrl-L doesn't tidy it up.

If so, it might be helpful to do the following. When it's messed up,
type Ctrl-X Ctrl-W and write to a file like /tmp/junk
Then run:  diff -wub <original-file-being-edited> /tmp/junk | less
and see what the changes actually are.

(-wb ignores changes of indentation/whitespace, -u gives the unified
view of the two files; leave it out if you prefer the default.)

Incidentally, this is what I did when I first got hit by "narrowing".
I had never encountered this before and thought I'd lost much of my
source file. With relief, I discovered that all was ok. (It's years
since emacs has narrowed on me.)

Cheers,
David.