Re: Emacs lilypond-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs lilypond-mode
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:12:28 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>     David> Huh.  I just committed midi-kbd.el to ELPA, the official
>>     David> Emacs package archive.
>>
>> That sounded like it would be something I wanted to try,
>
> midi-kbd.el only translates Midi input into Emacs events.  Without any
> keybindings on those events, it is useless.
>
>> so I listed the packages available and went to install it.  But it
>> said it depended on emacs25.  So I installed emacs-snapshot (which is
>> emacs 25.1) from an unofficial ubuntu repository, and listed the
>> packages available and it doesn't have midi-kbd.
>
> Uh.  Maybe it uses a different mirror for Emacs packages or something?
> midi-kbd is brand-new in ELPA.
>
> Try typing r into the package manager for "refreshing".
>
>> Is it my emacs installation being inadequate, or is the package not
>> configured right?
>>
>>     David> And I wanted to add the corresponding functionality to
>>     David> LilyPond-mode next so that one can enter pitches and chords
>>     David> into Emacs via MIDI.
>>
>> I'm currently getting MIDI entry of lilypond into emacs via
>> midi-input-mode from <http://utopia.knoware.nl/~hlub/uck/software>.
>
> Not Found
>
> The requested URL /~hlub/uck/software was not found on this server.
>
> Pity: Id have been interested in that.

Found it at <URL:http://utopia.knoware.nl/~hlub/uck/rlwrap/#midi_input>
but I had seen it before.  The separate C utility makes it a harder sell
in my opinion.  It could likely be rewritten to use midi-kbd.el.

What it does do is trying to track the current "tonality".  That's an
interesting idea but requires an editing mode that will _propagate_
corrections in order to work nicely.  Of course, the same will be needed
in order to have automatic note length recognition cooperate nicely with
manual corrections, fixing later durations based on corrections on
earlier ones.

>> It works but has the major disadvantage that it doesn't play the MIDI
>> notes as well as reading them.
>
> The current version of lily-midi.el which I still need to fold into
> the LilyPond repository does not do so either.

You probably mean not as much playing while entering (your MIDI keyboard
should do that) as you mean playing while editing.  midi-kbd.el retains
the full timing information.  So it is prepared for more complex editing
modes that make use of them, the simplest of course being just replay of
the current region exactly as entered (what to do with manual
insertions/corrections?  No idea).  Again, this is not yet done.  And
I'm not quite sure how to best do it: one would likely need to open a
(raw?) MIDI output device for it as well.

--
David Kastrup