Re: Emacs lilypond-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs lilypond-mode
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 18:22:52 +0200

Laura Conrad <address@hidden> writes:

>     David> What it does do is trying to track the current "tonality".
>     David> That's an interesting idea but requires an editing mode that
>     David> will _propagate_ corrections in order to work nicely.  Of
>     David> course, the same will be needed in order to have automatic
>     David> note length recognition cooperate nicely with manual
>     David> corrections, fixing later durations based on corrections on
>     David> earlier ones.
>
> I'm not that interested in note length.  I'm not a good enough keyboard
> player to be able to enter notes with very accurate lengths.  I use the
> left hand to play the  MIDI keyboard and the right hand on the keypad to
> do the lengths.  I'm pretty fast this way, and pretty accurate, except
> for the silly accidentals midi-input-mode makes up.   The problem is
> when entering long note values, which are common in early 16th century
> music, I have to leave the keypad to type \breve and \longa.
>
>     >>> It works but has the major disadvantage that it doesn't play the MIDI
>     >>> notes as well as reading them.
>     >>
>     >> The current version of lily-midi.el which I still need to fold into
>     >> the LilyPond repository does not do so either.
>
>     David> You probably mean not as much playing while entering (your
>     David> MIDI keyboard should do that) as you mean playing while
>     David> editing.
>
> No, I mean playing while entering.  My USB MIDI keyboard doesn't have
> any sounds -- it needs the computer to do the playing.  If I work hard
> with Linux audio, I can get Jack and a synthesizer to play sounds when I
> play, but midi-input-mode won't talk to Jack.

Uh, use aconnect -l ?

And then use aconnect to connect your USB MIDI port to some Timidity
port?  Emacs does not have to do anything here.  You can connect one
Midi input to more than one output.

If you have time lag problems, ask back.  I think Ubuntu's default
Timidity settings are somewhat less than real-time friendly.  Probably
nothing fazing an organ player, but for an accordionist something like a
half-second delay can be quite the nuisance.

>     David> midi-kbd.el retains the full timing information.  So it is
>     David> prepared for more complex editing modes that make use of
>     David> them, the simplest of course being just replay of the current
>     David> region exactly as entered (what to do with manual
>     David> insertions/corrections?  No idea).  Again, this is not yet
>     David> done.  And I'm not quite sure how to best do it: one would
>     David> likely need to open a (raw?) MIDI output device for it as
>     David> well.
>
> I'm not sure how useful emacs deciding what you want to hear would
> be. Something like midi-play-region would be nice.

Without running it through LilyPond first I assume.

--
David Kastrup