Re: [OT] Printer with or without Postscript

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: [OT] Printer with or without Postscript
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 18:07:27 -0500

Quoting Johan Vromans (address@hidden):
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:59:42 -0500
> David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > A very common workflow but IMO a very poor one. If you have problems
> > printing, where do you start looking for the cause? (for example,
> > artifacts like those in the right side of your lpev.png).
> >
> > I only ever print from applications to a file. Then I print the file.
>
> How do you print? cat > /dev/printer? lpr? A viewer? Except for the first,
> they all involve 'hidden' software between the physical PostScript file and
> the physical printout.

Sticking to the order here (rather than the order at Tue, 13 Oct 2015
12:09:27 +0200), method 2; ie through GS and HP's hpcups filter to
convert the PDF to pcl3. I'm not sure what you mean by hidden.
Method 1 is expensive and, as you pointed out, still involves GS to go
from PDF to PS. Method 3 is what I am avoiding, in the sense of being
*in* the printing chain. Obviously I view PDFs in viewer, usually xpdf.

> > Having eventually downloaded that PNG

> Two rescans at high density, glued together in GIMP.

Does the PDF file you're viewing in evince look ok when you magnify it
on the screen? If so, what does method 2 produce when you print that
file? This should help isolate your problem.

Cheers,
David.