Re: [OT] Printer with or without Postscript

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: [OT] Printer with or without Postscript
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:49:41 +0200

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 18:07:27 -0500
David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> Does the PDF file you're viewing in evince look ok when you magnify it
> on the screen? If so, what does method 2 produce when you print that
> file? This should help isolate your problem.

For the sake of clarity: I used an old problem that occured to me a couple
of years ago to illustrate.

It did look correctly in evince when viewed at large magnification, and
eventully turned out to be a bug in the evince printing library. The bug
only showed when printing LilyPond scores and took a very long time to be
taken seriously (and fixed). That's one of the reasons I put this picture
on the web to show what happened.

> through GS and HP's hpcups filter to
> convert the PDF to pcl3. I'm not sure what you mean by hidden.

Many people do not realise that there's a chain of programs active between
the file to be printed and the black spots on the paper.

-- Johan