Fonts used for Lyrics (was: Serpent Publications)

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Fonts used for Lyrics (was: Serpent Publications)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:45:31 +0200

> – Unfortunately, LilyPond’s default text font is quite wide, so perhaps
> you might want to look for a narrower one. Personally, I very much like
> the Alegreya font (which has a Sans version as well) from
> <http://fontsquirrel.com>.

After reading this I gave Alegreya a try. It is fairly narrow and as such
certainly well suited for lyrics. However it gives the whole text a
rather oldish look and feel. If that's what you're after - perfect.

I find it less easy to read.

My current favourite w/r to lyrics is "Latin Modern Roman" which at
least on my system is the default font used by TeX. It is not as narrow
as Alegreya but narrower than LP's default font and to my eye it is
rather easy to read (which becomes more important with increasing age...)

Another alternative would be "Linux Libertine" which is roughly as narrow
as Alegreya or possibly "Linux Biolinum" of you tend towards sans types
of fonts.

The narrowest lyrics font I've come across so far is "Finale Lyrics"
which of course isn't available to you unless you own Finale (not sure
if it also comes as part of the free Finale Notepad version).

Of course this is just my personal opinion.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: address@hidden