Re: lilypond-mode and electric-indent-mode (Emacs)

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: lilypond-mode and electric-indent-mode (Emacs)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:40:18 -0500

Quoting David Kastrup (address@hidden):
> pls <address@hidden> writes:
> > lilypond-mode (Git-repository) and electric-indent-mode don't seem to
> > get along too well
> > in Emacs. (I'm currently using GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
> > GTK+ Version 3.10.8) but I have experienced the same issues with all
> > other Emacs-versions I have tried before.)
> >
> > When I press RET at the end of a line the indentation of that line gets
> > messed up (only in lilypond-mode). I tried the following three
> > solutions to turn off
> > electric-indent-mode in lilypond-mode in my .emacs file but none of them
> > seems to work:

[snip]

> > I finally turned it off globally (setq-default electric-indent-mode nil)
> > but that's not really my favorite solution.  Has anyone else experienced
> > similar problems (and solved them) or is the problem sitting right in
> > front of my computer?

> The indentation engine of lilypond-mode needs to be redone.  One of its
> most annoying properties is that it's not benign: if it gets out of
> whack, having one correctly indented < or { or << or >> or } or > will
> not let it resynchronize.
>
> LilyPond-mode has not changed significantly since version 2.0 or so.
> It's just no longer in touch, and it does not deal gracefully with
> embedding blocks of Scheme inside of regular LilyPond code.

I try to keep my scheme in included files containing not much
else. (That's easy for me as most of it is snippets I have garnered
here and elsewhere.)

But one thing I do keep handy is a single key defined to <press TAB>
and <move forward one line>. That way, I can move to the top of the
file and just hold down that key to tidy up the whole file.

Way back when spontaneous "narrowing" used to happen to me, I would
do this quite often. Whether it had any real effect, I don't know.
It might just have been cargo cult science.

Cheers,
David.