Feature Requests (was: Re: My finances for working on LilyPond)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Feature Requests (was: Re: My finances for working on LilyPond)
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 00:26:09 +0200

On 23.10.2015 20:31, Bernardo Barros wrote:
Something I requested many years ago was the support for quarter-tone
tablatures notation, which seems to work but is actually buggy at the
moment, it generates wrong tablatures in strings with quarter-tones
alterations etc. Did it receive some attention recently?

Obviously not, and for multiple reasons:
First, it seems to be a very special thing, and it may even be that you’re the only one to suffer from this limitation/bugs. Second, we do have too few developers. Indeed, David Kastrup is currently doing the majority of the work which is done on LilyPond (as you can guess from the figures he sent), many other core developers having (largely or wholly) ceased to work on LilyPond. Third, feature requests aren’t quite as crucial in the motivation of a developer to take up a certain task. As has been said, even bounties lately tend to have little effect, since the time resources, capabilities, and personal interest of the dev himself(*) play a more important part. So unfortunately there’s nothing for it, except exercising patience, doing it yourself or finding someone to do it…

Yours, Simon

(*) very few women in the ’Pond…