Re: Redundant accidentals after clef changes

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Redundant accidentals after clef changes
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 15:19:20 -0500

Quoting David Kastrup (address@hidden):
> Noah Fields <address@hidden> writes:
> > I am working on a score for solo viola. There are measures in which I
> > change from alto clef to treble clef, and then back to alto clef. Each time
> > there is a clef change, Lilypond rewrites accidentals. I understand the
> > usefulness of this default, but is there a way to turn this feature off? I
> > have looked at the accidentalStyles and those do not seem to be applicable.
> >
> > \version "2.18.2"
> >
> > \relative c' {
> >     \time 4/4
> >
> >     \clef "alto"
> >     cis4
> >
> >     \clef "treble"
> >     cis
> >
> >     \clef "alto"
> >     cis
> >
> >     r4 |
> > }
>
> I think it is automatic (and written by me).  Sorry, I don't think that
> there is a specific setting for getting rid of that behavior in
> accidental styles.  If you can make a good explanation of the situations
> where this would be really needed, one can try designing a coherent
> setting for it (not sure how this would really interact with the
> \accidentalStyle command) and change the \accidentalStyle command
> accordingly.
>
> I _think_ that it's all Scheme anyway, so one could probably program a
> wrapper for the sort of thing that \accidentalStyle does, with the
> wrapper throwing out the respective properties used for making
> reminders.
>
> Arguably, in your example it might even be a useful _default_ if the
> last of the three accidentals were not printed (but the second would).
> In that case, the accidental style internals would likely have to track
> more information when clefs change than they do now.

I'm guessing that this should be considered along with the related
issue 1471.

I'm glad we singers don't meet this sort of thing in "normal" music.
My own take is for having extra accidentals (ie clef changes⇨forget)
but also the extra cancellations (1471). (Perhaps written above.)

[from a position of ignorance of convention.]

Cheers,
David.