Re: Font shapes for different sizes

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Font shapes for different sizes
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 00:38:37 +0100

Dear Abraham,

> but I have great plans to remedy this situation. Please stay tuned!

That's good to hear that you are aware of it. I will stay tuned.

> Here are some test runs of what I've done (compared to Emmentaler, using
> the example from the LilyPond essay). They are definitely NOT perfect, but
> hopefully it shows you that I'm on the right track (11pt vs 26pt):

I guess there is a lot of effort in the original Emmentaler font in this
respect. When looking at
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/attachment/182664/0/optical-size-test-collage.png
I see that Emmentaler (and partly Cadence) is the only font where the
time signature numbers touch the staff lines as expected in both sizes.
The same for the clef. Similarly, the note heads do not extend into
neighbouring staff spaces. So it seems this interplay between staff line
thickness and glyphs is quite tricky. — I know that this link is not the
final word as you point out above.

Another funny thing: Do you know what makes the slur having a different
curvature in staff 4, 6 and 11 of your image. IMHO, the flat one looks
better than the default.

> I hope that clarifies what's going on and shows that I'm aware of the
> situation and working on a beautiful solution :-)

I have great confidence in that considering all the beautiful things you
did so far.

Cheers,
Joram