Re: quarter-tone tablatures notation

From: bart deruyter
Subject: Re: quarter-tone tablatures notation
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:40:21 +0100

> but it sure is possible to "bend" open strings using the tuning heads.

On electric guitar bending open strings is easily done with the tremolo arm. I've seen it in some transcriptions of guitar-solo's in popular music, but I can't recall where I've seen it.

grtz,

Bart

pls <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Ok. I found a problem: you can't bend an open string ...
>>
>> When you "bend" with a bottleneck, it might be feasible.  So not sure
>> whether this would not warrant at least an option.
>>
>> And I'm not sure whether fretlass basses are on-topic for "bending".
>>
>> Basically I have no idea at all but like throwing them around and see if
>> something sticks.
>
> I can't think of a way to "bend" an *open* string with a bottleneck

I thought of placing the bottleneck at half-fret position without
pressing down.  I mean, it's a glissando device, right?

> but it sure is possible to "bend" open strings using the tuning heads.

That would more be like a permanent change of tuning I think.  Depending
on the guitar's setup, "bending" beyond the nut may be an option for
open strings.

--
David Kastrup