Re: My finances for working on LilyPond

From: Bruno Ruviaro
Subject: Re: My finances for working on LilyPond
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 17:19:45 -0700

Hi David,

Please let me know via separate e-mail how I can donate.

And below is a suggestion of an alternative funding mechanism for you to consider in the future.

It seems to me that Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/) might be a good system in your case. (disclaimer: I have never used it myself, but I know the founder and trust him, and I find the concept very interesting).

Patreon allows you to charge your supporters "per creation": in the case of software development it would probably be the "release" or announcement of a number of significant commits accumulated over a month or two. If you get a number of happy Lilypond users to become your regular "patrons", you'd get a more or less predictable and constant stream of support -- without having to remind people to donate every time. For example, if I were your supporter on the website, every time you make a release, Patreon would automatically charge me a fixed amount (I decide how much), notify me of your latest work, and transfer the money to you (minus Patreon's fee of 5%). From the patron side, a nice thing is that I can establish a cap for my monthly donations (in case you do more releases in a month that I could "afford").

Anyway, just an idea.

Thanks for your work on Lilypond. I only became a more serious user in the last few months, and I can say I am a happy Lilypond user.

Bruno