Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 07:00:30 +0100

> If I add an \augmentum, the line breaks at this point and the former
> part is stretched to fill the line. Can I avoid this?
> Here is a small example:
>
> \include "gregorian.ly"
> #(set-global-staff-size 40)
>
> music = {
>   \repeat unfold 20 a
>   % \augmentum
>   \repeat unfold 20 a
> }
> \new VaticanaStaff \music
> \new Staff \music

I can only guess, however to me it looks as if LP tries to place a
linebreak where it interferes the least with the rythm of the words.
In your example you have many steady sylables with just one \augmentum
in the middle. In a way splitting it there seems the best choice as
otherwise you would split in the middle of some "flow". However without
the words to be sung to your chant this is just pointless guessing.

You could always insert \break where you think a break should occur.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: address@hidden