Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 12:26:27 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Noeck" <address@hidden>
To: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:32 PM
Subject: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem

Hi,

I know that the support for Gregorian chant is not the best. But does
anybody know how to solve this:

If I add an \augmentum, the line breaks at this point and the former
part is stretched to fill the line. Can I avoid this?
Here is a small example:

\include "gregorian.ly"
#(set-global-staff-size 40)

music = {
 \repeat unfold 20 a
 % \augmentum
 \repeat unfold 20 a
}
\new VaticanaStaff \music
\new Staff \music

In my real piece (150 lines), the situation is even worse and the line
breaks after the first 1,5 words while usually about 10 words fit into
one line. Adding more \augmentum commands in other places sometimes
solve the issue for others. Unpredictable for me. The worst case was
that the second line did not break anymore and went off the page. I
guess some note value scaling and the requirement that line breaks can
only happen at bar lines?

Next question: Why this grouping by four? Are there invisible bar lines?
\cadenzaOn solves that but now I lack automatic line breaking. Any ideas
to that? Can the spacing be done without any timing just by the need of
the lyrics?

Cheers,
Joram

I think there are two issues here: one is LilyPond's handling of bar lines in what is intended to be unmetered music, and the other is your use of the augmentum. Taking the second first, the way you're using it is putting an extra half beat in the music, so we effectively try to fit 4.5 beats into a 4 beat bar. This messes up the timing of every following bar, so it's really not a good thing.

I've taken some settings I use for Mensural music, and using them all fixes your problem with the rest of the layout. You may like to experiment to see if they're all necessary. Note the extra \bar "" in the music.

\include "gregorian.ly"
#(set-global-staff-size 40)

music = {
a \bar"" \repeat unfold 40 a
\augmentum b
\augmentum b
\repeat unfold 40 a
}
\score {
\new VaticanaStaff \music
\layout {
ragged-last = ##f
indent = 0.0
timing = ##t
barAlways = ##f
\context {
\Score
\override SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #0
\override SpacingSpanner #'base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 2)
\remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
\new Staff \music

--
Phil Holmes