Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 11:03:07 -0500

On Thu 29 Oct 2015 at 09:27:44 (+0100), Noeck wrote:
> a \bar "" \break works but I am working on something automatic, so this
> is not really viable.

Last night I was going to suggest that you switched timing off, until
I saw you'd mentioned CadenzaOn, so I didn't bother.

AFAICT the reason the linebreak occurs before the augmentum is not to
do with the words (there aren't any) but that that is the last time a
measure ends when a note is not in progress. You can see this clearly
if you replace:

  \new Staff \music

with:

  \new Voice \with {
    \remove "Note_heads_engraver"
    \consists "Completion_heads_engraver"
    \remove "Rest_engraver"
    \consists "Completion_rest_engraver"
  } \music

(which will also have the side-effect of allowing the lines to break
at the ties).

Now I don't know what your overall intentions are, so any suggestions
on this list could be a waste of time as they may conflict with your
constraints, as yet hidden from us. It certainly won't coincide with
my own idiosyncratic way of writing chant which is designed for
singing from, not for any sort of beauty.

Assuming you're trying to do something like ยง2.9.4 in the Notation
manual (for 2.18.2), but obviously removing the \break therein,
what doesn't work for you?

Also what's the purpose of your second (conventional-style) staff
in your example? Is it a diagnostic aid, or part of the final score?

Cheers,
David.