Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 00:30:03 +0100

Hi Phil,

> I think there are two issues here: one is LilyPond's handling of bar
> lines in what is intended to be unmetered music, and the other is your
> use of the augmentum.  Taking the second first, the way you're using it
> is putting an extra half beat in the music, so we effectively try to fit
> 4.5 beats into a 4 beat bar.  This messes up the timing of every
> following bar, so it's really not a good thing.

I guessed that – but what can I do if I need the \augmentum ? Add spacer
rests to fill up the bar? Or is this all cured by removing the
Default_bar_line_engraver as you showed me below?

> I've taken some settings I use for Mensural music, and using them all
> fixes your problem with the rest of the layout.  You may like to
> experiment to see if they're all necessary.

Thanks for your settings. I comment them inline:

> ragged-last = ##f  % the piece I copy prefers ##t
> indent = 0.0       % I want the indent
> timing = ##t       % does it change anything?
> barAlways = ##f    % does it change anything?
> \context {
> \Score
> \override SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #0  % this is helpful (1)
> \override SpacingSpanner #'base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 2)
> \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"  % I was searching for that name (2)
> }

(1) Whatever this Spacing spanner change does, it looks much better
(2) I tried to remove the bar line engraver but all I found was the
Bar_engraver which obviously did not have the desired effect.

Perhaps you can also have a look at my more detailed description, I will
send to Michael and David.

Thanks for your help,
Joram