Bar count wrong after multirest

From: Silas S . Brown
Subject: Bar count wrong after multirest
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 22:06:36 +0000 (UTC)

Hi, I wonder if someone could put in a feature request for better
diagnostics of the following mistake.  I gave this to Lilypond version 2.18.2:

\score { << \new Staff << \context Voice = TheMusic {
\compressFullBarRests
\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible
\set Score.barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 1)
\time 4/4 R1*3 | c'' | d''
} >> >> \layout{} }

and got a PDF where the 3-bar rest is followed by bar 4 (correct), but the
next bar is 7 instead of 5.

The cause of this appears to be that, at least as far as bar numbering is
concerned, the length of "1*3" from the "R1*3" persists for the c''.  I was
just thinking it would be a single semibreve (whole note), and indeed it
LOOKS like a single semibreve, but the bar numbering still counts it as 3 bars.

It would be nice if Lilypond at least printed up a warning if the user tries
to write full-bar notes after a multirest without re-specifying the length,
instead of just merrily carrying on with the notes doing one thing but the
bar count doing another.  I used Lilypond to re-typeset my part for a local
orchestra (as the printing of their original part was unbearable) - the
result was very nice but it took me some time to track down why my bar
numbers were all wrong in rehearsal!

--
Silas S. Brown http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/ssb22