Re: Cadenza...

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Cadenza...
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:45:21 -0800

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 09:33:57PM +0000, Alberto Simões wrote:
> Hello
>
> First, sorry if the name is not the correct one. For me the lilypond
> website is down for two days, making it hard to look the glossary :-)
>
> What is the correct/best/modern way to obtain something like the
> excerpt in attach? Making the measure have a different duration is
> easy... my main question is the notes size.
>
> Is tweaking the notes size the correct way to do it?
[...]

Here's one way of doing it, that I used recently:

        % Put cadenza notes outside normal notes so that it's easier to
        % obtain its actual length automatically.
        myCadenza = {
            % Copied from general-grace-seetings in music-functions.scm
            \override Stem.font-size = #-3
            \override Stem.length-fraction = #0.8
            \override Flag.font-size = #-3
            \override NoteHead.font-size = #-3
            \override Beam.beam-thickness = 0.384
            \override Beam.length-fraction = 0.8

            ... % put your cadenza notes here

            \revert Beam.length-fraction
            \revert Beam.beam-thickness
            \revert NoteHead.font-size
            \revert Flag.font-size
            \revert Stem.length-fraction
            \revert Stem.font-size
        }

        \score {
                \new PianoStaff {
                        \new Staff {
                                \clef treble
                                ... % normal notes here

                                \cadenzaOn \myCadenza \cadenzaOff

                                ... % normal notes after cadenza
                        }
                        \new Staff {
                                \clef bass
                                ... % normal notes here

                                % Insert empty space of the same length
                                % as the cadenza so that things will
                                % line up.
                                #(skip-of-length myCadenza)

                                ... % normal notes after cadenza

Hope this helps.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.