Re: Website down?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Website down?
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 01:00:55 +0100

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03.11.2015 23:54, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I’m happy to be largely independent of the website (having installed
>>> the docs locally), since downtime is quite unfortunately frequent…
>> It's worth pointing out that installing the info docs with images
>> (running "make info" which is really expensive before running "sudo make
>> install") is an excellent resource when you are using Emacs as your Info
>> reader.  I don't know any other Info reader supporting images
>> gracefully, though.  The standalone Info reader should still be useful
>> for finding stuff fast with the search and index lookup commands.
>>

> I read it in HTML, installing from (or rather through) the .sh binary…
> no need to use make and emacs :-)

HTML is quite clumsier for navigation and indexing.  I tend to find
information in Emacs' info reader (mainly using the index, sometimes
using plain text search), then I cut and paste a recognizable sentence
into a web search engine in order find the online variant in order to
refer people to it.

--
David Kastrup