Re: Automated processing of multiple books

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Automated processing of multiple books
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:29:43 +0100

On 04.11.2015 20:36, David Kastrup wrote:
Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

On 04.11.2015 19:24, David Kastrup wrote:
Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

This compiles fine inasmuch as the output is just as intended, but it
does sport a:

<0>"/home/simon/lilypond/tests/wrap-multiple-books.ly:17:1: error: bad
expression type

\printParts one.two"

Is this worth a bug report about this error appearing too easily?
No.  You use map instead of for-each,
How would I use for-each here? I’m not familiar with that.
for-each has exactly the same arguments as map but does not return a
value.

you use define-scheme-function instead of define-void-function.
Ah, I see. I wouldn’t have thought that a function which basically
runs print-book-with-default would classify as a void function.
What do you consider "void" then?

Basically, my notion of a ‘void function’ comes from the LilyPond documentation, and I’d phrase it as ‘a function which is not executed for its output (or return value), but for side-effects’, such as variable definitions &c. And I thought print-book-with-default was executed in order to output a ‘book’. Is it closer to the truth to say that it only passes the information on, instead of ‘returning’ or ‘outputting’ it? I’m not quite into any subtleties of programming…

Yours, Simon