Re: LilyPond-aware text editors

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: LilyPond-aware text editors
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 21:58:54 +0100

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know of LilyPond-aware text editors? I was always
> considering the steps
> - plain text editor
> - enhanced editor
> - IDE
>
> but suddenly have the impression that the second one doesn't actually exist.
>
> What I consider an enhanced editor is a tool that gives at least syntax
> highlighting for LilyPond, and optionally one or more of the following:
> - code completion
> - input helpers
> - music functions
> - indenter/linter
>
> What it would *not* have (because then I'd consider it an IDE) is any
> form of integrating compilation, console output, viewer.
>
> Is there *any* tool around that offers more than a notepad application
> but doesn't try to be an IDE?
>
> Best
> Urs

I mostly use jEdit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedit
nice colored and customizable highlighting and a lot of features which
can be added.

For simple tasks gedit, in terminal nano.

There was a lilypondtool-plugin for jEdit warranting LilyPond-specific
highlighting and autocompletition, though the developer stopped work
on it. Last release was 12.1.2010, afaict. He posted it on this list,
too lazy to search it, though.

Honestly, the LilyPondTool was always a little buggy and I rarely
needed it, but I love the jEdit-way ;)

Cheers,
  Harm