Re: Dialogue text automatically spanning over multiple lines/pages

From: Yannick CHARLES
Subject: Re: Dialogue text automatically spanning over multiple lines/pages
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 22:00:04 +0100

Hello !

Thank you both for your answers and feedback.

>> I would like to have a way to tell Lilypond : "Say this over measures
>> 1 to 10" (some long text) then "say this over measure 12 and 13".
>>
>> Is there such a functionality, or some trick to achieve it ?
>
> No simple way to do it currently, as far as I know.

ok. For now what I used is the solution described in the manual, but as I said I had to manually break the text and sometimes put it in columns so that each block fits on 1 line max.

> I have been offering to sponsor such a function for a couple of years,
> as it would be invaluable to the engravings of my music dramas
> (chamber operas, musicals, etc.). No luck to date.

Not sure I can offer to sponsor too, but I would find it very useful as well as I have a couple of projects involving a narrator reading a text while music is playing.

so it would have been unsuitable for waiting for a particular measure.
I don't really know whether the corresponding C code works but I
probably canned this when realizing that it did not really lend itself
to a number of applications you wanted it for.

One would probably need to come up with a better way of specifying the
event to wait for than just some music _expression_.

For my use, I would be fine with specifying some music _expression_/duration (e.g. 1*4 or s1*4).

I mean, maybe the most practical would be something allowing to tell Lilypond :

Print this text over 20 measures (or mes 1 to 20)
Wait till mes 56 (or some event/mark)
Print this over 6 measures...

But I think it is already great if one can tell :
Print this during this duration (s1*20)
Print nothing during 35 measures (e.g. ""s1*35)
Print this over 6 measures (s1*6 if 4/4 signature)

Yann