Re: lyluatex and distance between systems

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: lyluatex and distance between systems
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 08:57:36 +0100

Am 05.11.2015 um 21:05 schrieb David Wright:
On Thu 05 Nov 2015 at 18:11:52 (+0100), Marc Hohl wrote:
I use the lyluatex package for my latest project. Everything looks fine,
but unfortunately lyluatex does not support \preLilyPondExample,
\postLilyPondExample and \betweenLilyPondSystem, respectively.

I want to control the distance between staves, and adding a padding
below the lyrics does not work, since the Lilypond output is cropped
line by line, ignoring the padding AFAIK.

Is there a way to manually or even better automatically insert an
invisible spacer in the lyrics at the beginning of each new line to
increase the spacing?

I have stooped to adding extra verses, eg

\addlyrics { \versei }
\addlyrics { \verseii }
\addlyrics { \spacer }
\addlyrics { \spacer }

where the spacer verse might be

spacer = \lyricmode {
   \NBSP _ _ _ _ _ _ _
   \NBSP _ _ _ _ _
   \NBSP _ _ _ _ _ _ _
   \NBSP _ _ _ _ _
}

for an 8686-metre hymn for example.

NBSP = \lyricmode { " " } % non-breakable space

It's not automatic, particularly for "prose" music where the number of
syllables per line is variable. However, it's flexible: you can change
some of the NBSPs back to _ and only pad certain systems (where, for
example, an extra bit of bass lyrics below the staves is getting too
close to the following system. That's tricker to do with
\override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(<N> . <N>)

If your cropper is intelligent enough to recognise NBSP as whitespace
and zap it, then there's always the standby

invisibledot = \lyricmode { \once \override LyricText.font-size = #-19 "." }

Thanks for these ideas, I'll give it a try!

Best regards,

Marc

Cheers,
David.