Re: LilyPond-aware text editors

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: LilyPond-aware text editors
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 12:19:57 +0100

On 05.11.2015 21:58, Thomas Morley wrote:
Is there *any* tool around that offers more than a notepad application
but doesn't try to be an IDE?
I mostly use jEdit.

Me too.

IDE-wise, I feel safer with minimalist homegrown, even if primitive.
Editorwise, I don't want/need templates, prompting or autocompletion.

Some relevant things jEdit offers vs Notepad:
 - several views of one buffer, eg for several voices in one file
 - splittable text area, eg for several voices in several files
 - hypersearch, eg for navigating between similar things
 - syntax highlighting - maybe a bit weak but good enough for me
And I occasionally use
 - bracket matching - especially with Scheme!
 - rectangular selection
 - multiple selection
 - (my halfbaked transposition) macros

There was a lilypondtool-plugin for jEdit warranting LilyPond-specific
highlighting and autocompletition, though the developer stopped work
on it. Last release was 12.1.2010, afaict.

I found jEdit's LilyPond indenting unsatisfactory, and worked with
Bertalan Fodor to improve it (just before that date).
It was still confused by Scheme sections then, but I now have
a rather clunky way to cope with one level of nesting - all I need.

Cheers,
Robin