Re: ScholarLy and polymetric music? (bar numbering, \RemoveEmptyStaffCon

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: ScholarLy and polymetric music? (bar numbering, \RemoveEmptyStaffContext)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:47:42 -0500

Hi all,

Is there a standard/convention/best practice on measure numbering in polymetric
scores? I’m running into an issue of that myself (in my song “The Country
Wife”), and can’t find anything definitive.

Note: Gould (p. 484) writes, “Bar numbers should not be used in music in which
individual performers have different numbers of bars or where barlines do not
coincide”… but I’d like to at least have a non-recommended alternative.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info