Re: ScholarLy and polymetric music? (bar numbering, \RemoveEmptyStaffCon

From: Graham King
Subject: Re: ScholarLy and polymetric music? (bar numbering, \RemoveEmptyStaffContext)
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 23:22:14 +0000

On Mon, 2015-11-09 at 14:55 -0600, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
On 11/09/2015 02:47 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> The very first thing they said to me was, “Add measure numbers.”
>
> That’s sufficient reason for me.  =)

Good answer.

In that case, I would pick one part, and force those measure numbers in
as numeric rehearsal marks in the other parts.

Otherwise, you’d need a translation guide...

~Chris
I guess Gould has a point.  I've just realised that, under my system as I described it, a part could have the same bar number twice.  For example, in the attachment below, T has two bars "9".  But apart from an ill-chosen number (in this case), one could regard the "bar numbers" as "numeric rehearsal marks".  Different mechanism, different formatting, same result.  In practice, for the sort of music I'm dealing with, the polymetric sections tend to be quite short so, for the most part, bar numbers are more helpful than rehearsal marks.