Re: LilyPond-aware text editors

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: LilyPond-aware text editors
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:23:01 -0800

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 04:12:54PM -0700, zzk wrote:
> Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote
> > Interestingly (perhaps only to me), the only other place I feel like
> > I took a step backward in changing editors is that the (in-file)
> > find/replace mechanisms in sublime text are clunkier, especially
> > since you can't use them macros.
> >
> > I rather prefer emacs' M-x query replace or M-x replace-string to
> > the sublime text approach of multiple selection.
>
> I agree with your point that emacs' replace capabilities look more
> powerful.  However, at this stage, it would be an overkill for me, as
> I am not a heavy text editor user.
>
> I guess, it is great that we have so many options today (with a number
> of open source apps).
[...]

I wasn't sure if this would constitute a meaningful data point, but I do
use Lilypond extensively and only ever use vim (without syntax
highlighting). For the most part, navigation is no problem for me as I
use a very specific formatting, with comment markers indicating
different sections of a piece, so even in a full orchestral score it's
still usable to keep all the parts in a single file. (Layout specific
details like \layout and \paper blocks, macro definitions, and other
necessary boilerplate, are kept in different files, though, to minimize
distraction from the actual music.)

Written on the window of a clothing store: No shirt, no shoes, no service.