Development projects (was: Scholarly footnotes)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Development projects (was: Scholarly footnotes)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:31:25 +0100

Am 10.11.2015 um 03:52 schrieb Craig Dabelstein:
Hi Urs,

What can I do to help you advance ScholarLY (or any of your other projects)?

Well, the next thing is to constantly nag (but in a friendly manner of course) ;-)
But if you would want to do some active contribution you're of course more than welcome!

E.g. do I need to learn scheme?

Learning Scheme is probably a good thing for you (and I think it's a good thing for the LilyPond community if more people manage to do so). But if I were you I wouldn't expect to get to the point soon where you can do substantial contributions. I don't want to discourage you, it may well be a worthwile investment, but there are surely other ways where you will sooner get positive feedback through achieving things.

Do I play around with incorporating ScholarLY into Latex? What would be the most helpful for you?

So you know LaTeX? Then this would surely be something useful.
As I wrote in my earlier reply there is the need for a proper "critical report" package. I do have some code for formatting report entries, used in a time when I maintained the entries manually. And the LaTeX export in ScholarLY is modele on that. But what I've never started on is a *proper* package for that purpose. Out of my hat I see several tasks/challenges:
  • Pull in entries from an input file (somewhat similar to citations)
  • Apply filtering and/or sorting to that
  • Make the appearance of the entries (and the whole report) configurable in a way that is as user-friendly as one would expect from a LaTeX package
    (e.g. by providing commands to modify the appearance without requiring the user to completely rewrite the command, or by inventing some templating style)
  • Provide a way for handling custom properties. ScholarLY exports unknown properties as key=value properties in the optional argument, and the package should provide an infrastructure that the user can define a way to process these properties and integrate them in his custom rendering of the entry.

###

Another project that would clearly benefit from assistance is openLilyLib where currently two major items are (unhandled) on the roadmap: creating a documentation infrastructure and disentangling the library infrastructure

A)
The continuation of developing the "new infrastructure" and moving the existing content to that is more or less blocked on a proper documentation system. I do not want the "new" openLilyLib to significantly get new content before that is solved, any material newly added should already use that documentation.
This involves two separate parts:
a)
"Designing" a documentation syntax that allows authors to document modules in their code. This is what all programming languages support, and LilyPond should have that too. This effort should therefore benefit LilyPond in general, not only openLilyLib.
b)
Starting from a) we need a scripted solution to automatically produce documentation for openLilyLib and deploy it on the appropriate server.

B)
I've successfully started out with a new infrastructure that makes the use of openLilyLib much more straightforward, by using e.g.

\include "openlilylib"
\useLibrary ScholarLY
\useModule scholarly.annotate

I think this is a great improvement and has lots of potential for the day when there are numerous libraries available. But I've also realized that maintaining all these libraries inside a single directory structure, and within a single repository, is not really scalable. This will negatively affect

  • download size (everybody will have to get everything, regardless of what they want to use)
  • maintainability (we'll have to give push access to a potentially large number of library maintainers and contributors)
  • issue tracker

Therefore we should (now) find a way to disentangle openLilyLib in a way so that any library can be maintained in its own repository. There should be the openLilyLib core library that is responsible for all the infrastructure and common functionality. The actual libraries should then reside in a consistent location, presumably beside the core library. And we should have a package manager that can take care of dependencies and library versions.

Both projects may sound quite large, but I'm sure it's *only* the issue of (human) resources and not one of inherent obstacles, and it would be great if we could actually work towards these things. I'm quite positive that this would provide a serious improvement in LilyPond accessibility and user-friendly-ness.

Best
Urs

Craig