Re: Scorio Software

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Scorio Software
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:33:52 -0700 (MST)

I wouldn't say I've been "seduced" :-P. I cannot vouch for anything they have or produce. I was more or less thinking out loud since I have little experience dealing with MusicXML files.

Best,
Abraham

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 3:17 AM, Richard Shann-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2015-11-08 at 21:48 -0700, Abraham Lee wrote:
> It looks like they use MusicXML as their main data format then process
> it into LilyPond syntax for engraving on their server.

> Maybe we could work with them to leverage their converter if it works
> well.

This is highly unlikely, I think you have been seduced by the
MusicXML-universal-format myth: it is very easy to create a MusicXML
file from some music. And knowing exactly how you have created it, it is
easy to read it back (and easy to create LilyPond for it). So Scorio can
easily take input from the user store it using their version of MusicXML
and retrieve it again without having the remotest chance of reading
MusicXML generated by some other program.

There are any number of ways you can create a "valid" MusicXML
description of some music and it very unlikely that someone could create
a MusicXML reader that will understand whatever choices you made and
interpretation you gave without first seeing examples of what you
generate. So Sibelius can read its own MusicXML (I presume) and so on
for all the others. Only the people behind MusicXML (that's Finale I
think) can expect their output to be read by others, because they are
the de facto standard. They provide a set of examples which people use
to test their reader - the pages of "documentation" look impressive but
are (inevitably?) ambiguous.

I notice that MEI talks happily about there being "many ways" you can
describe the same music notation in its format. It seems to me that the
ideal would be a way of describing a book containing music notation
where there would be only one output file that correctly described it. I
imagine it would need to be a highly constrained notion of what a book
containing music notation is, to make that possible. And yet, at the
other extreme, it seems clear that many people would wish to rescue all
the notes that they had so painstakingly entered into some software for
re-use in another program when the original gets dropped.

Richard