Re: Gounod - Le Rendez Vous

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Gounod - Le Rendez Vous
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:00:12 +0100

On 11.11.2015 20:29, Alberto Simões wrote:

Hi, Abraham

This is looking MUCH better (nice work with the extended dynamic lines
;-). I'll look at it in greater detail later, but here's one thing that
I immediately noticed quite a few instances of that you would get dinged
for: You should ALWAYS enclose a tied note within a slurred passage.
Here's what I mean:

I understand your point, and happy to use it that way (although it is not the way the book editor did it).

It has been common until the 19th century to write it how you did, and personally I see no problem with that. But indeed, modern practice vouches against it.

Although not doubting your suggestion, I would be very interested to know if there is such a thing like a document describing a "best practices" for writing/engraving music.

Mainly the ones Abraham mentioned. I’d not keep slavishly to these, though; there has always been room for disagreement and personal preference in this discipline.

Yours, Simon