Re: misleading message and exit code when "program too old"

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: misleading message and exit code when "program too old"
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 22:23:09 +0100

Am 11.11.2015 um 22:16 schrieb tisimst:
> The \version statement mostly serves two purposes:
>
> 1. Remind you what compiler version you initially coded it for
> 2. Makes it possible for convert-ly to upgrade it to newer versions when
> desired

However (and including Simon's comments) I've always found the behaviour
annoying that LilyPond ends with a "failed file" although everything is
running properly.
I would also say that the *possibility* of changed output doesn't
warrant an error, at most a warning. And by the way, if I have a 2.18.2
file and compile it with 2.19.30 the result will be different as well.
So that's not really the issue.

As I see it that message is kind of a reminder that *if* something goes
wrong (when compiling a 2.19. file with 2.18) it *may* be due to the
version mismatch. But again:
- this doesn't justify an error condition
- the same is true the other way round.

My 2 cents
Urs

--