Re: RFC: new location for openLilyLib repository

From: Matteo Ceccarello
Subject: Re: RFC: new location for openLilyLib repository
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:51:29 +0100

I also vote for option a, and I agree with the comments of Sharon on option c.

Cheers,
Matteo

On 12/11/2015 23:22, ciconia wrote:
But there are also drawbacks to c) because it is hosted on my own (well,
hosted in a data center) server:
- I can guarantee availability to a lesser extent than a big service
provider
- I can't guarantee not to break things or lose everything due to
misconfiguration
- I can't guarantee that I will always have that kind of server or that
I'll even be around in the LilyPond community.
- I don't know if there's a smooth transfer path if the latter should
happen.

Therefore I'd like to ask around what you consider an appropriate
approach.
Exactly those drawbacks, and a some more:

- People would have to register on your site in order contribute, while at
least a substantial part of them are already on github.
- Github is also kind of the place to hang among younger developers, so you
risk losing that crowd if you wish to attract them to contribute.
- What about backup?

If your basic motive is reorganising the code, I think you don't really gain
anything from moving it away from github to your own server. Let's put it
like this, I'm sure you'd rather be coding than maintaining your gitlab
installation.

I say go with option a. You could use the existing github organisation and
just add repositories to it.

best
Sharon